Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Little BFF's (best friends forever)

Hello my Sweets,
I have no idea if everyone  is as much of a stress head as me but i constantly worry about Imogen and Samuel when they are away from me. The thought of them having no friends is soooo heartbreaking, and as my husband is always telling me "you as a mum have to give your kids the right tools to work with in life" oh he is so smart......... and right......... always!
And my kids seem to be doing ok..... so whats my problem???
So I thought i would put together some valuable points on how you can help your child make friends and to keep friends.


Here goes!
  • Help your little one to find the right friends. Teach them that one BFF (i have only recently learned the meaning of this he he) could be disappointing and it is much better to be every body's friend and to join in every body's games. I found an interesting page you might like to read.
  • Show your child how to join in with a game believe it or not this is a learned behaviour, for instance if the group is playing shops, then show your child how to become a new customer., encourage your child to be imaginative
  • Encourage your child to be open to everyone is different games, and to experiment. No one likes a bossy child, but also in saying that there is nothing wrong with being a little bit assertive, leadership is a good quality only if it comes hand in hand with empathy.
  • Encourage your child not to judge, be friends with whoever you want to be, join in with whatever you want to one on one or in group play.
  • Never reinforce negative attitudes. For example always let your little one  ask and answer questions for themselves, you definitely don't want to encourage shy behaviour.
  • A child should have a mixture of friends, so encourage this, school friends, dance friends, neighbour's there is a whole world out there.
  • Encourage friendship amongst those he/she has something in common with, such as ballet friends, or sport friends. 
Oh and making friends with the parents doesn't hurt either so maybe we can take these points on board too.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your what you have to say, but only nice comments please or I may cry!