Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Mommy Diaries


The time has almost arrived and its time to start celebrating....... its time for babies first party!
Baby showers are so much fun and with a bit of love and organisation you can make this a day to remember
I remember mine well, my sister Lesley threw it for me, it was my first baby and she had none, so we really had no idea, but it was welcoming and fun and there was lots of great food and company.

Last year I threw a shower for one of my staff members. I had a ball, we knew a baby girl was on the way so we had a gorgeous pink and cream colour scheme, my gorgeous friend Laura has her own business making sock bouquets so I ordered a variety to be centrepieces. We cooked up a storm, the day was fabulous and I'm sure she will remember it forever.

Anyway I have done a bit of reading and put together a list of DO's for the  Perfect Baby Shower!


  • Choose a hostess, someone who is good at organising things and will make sure points 2 to 10 are done with minimal stress.
  • Time the event right, usually about 4 weeks before the baby is due, the mummy still needs to be somewhat mobile to enjoy herself.
  • Choose the right place to hold the shower, the hostesses house would usually do it, or if  a smaller shower is to be had how about pedicures at a local spa? Allow about 2 hours for the shower, and maybe plan seating (make sure there are enough seats) in a way where everyone is "social".
  • Makes sure the food and drink is appropriate for the theme (mmm cupcakes ad fondue are my favourites) more importantly, make sure there is enough food and drink. Maybe hire an urn for coffee and tea (I set mine up with all the bits and pieces so everyone could help themselves, and it worked really well).
  • Make or buy unique party favours, your guests will love receiving something in gratitude, maybe make small thank you tags to attach and add what hospital you will be having baby in.
  • Choose a theme. A colour, a nursery rhyme or a character that is appropriate, you can build the rest of your party around this.

  • Have 3 or 4 interesting games, these are great icebreakers for people that don't know each other,      choose some small prizes suitable for everyone, and make sure everyone is included and enjoying themselves.
  • Pay attention to your guests, make sure everyone is offered a seat and a drink, have the hostess hand nibbles around.
  • Put someone in charge of taking your babies first party pics. This is SO important.
  • Most importantly plan everything well in advance, don't leave things until the last minute., and this should be a fun event for everyone to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your what you have to say, but only nice comments please or I may cry!